He's Here!

Kenneth Wilbert Buesgens III made his debut on September 25th, 2014 at 10:17 a.m. He weighed 7 pounds, 9 oz and measured 17 1/2 inches long. Mom, Dad, and Big Sister Natalie think he is perfect and are beyond excited that he is finally here. Aunty Jeni, Nana, and Boppy were all at the hospital waiting to meet him for the first time.

We had to be at the Mother Baby Center at 7:30 in the morning to prep for a 9:30 C-section time. The surgery went off without a hitch and I heard his beautiful cries as he was taken out of my tummy. The anesthesiologist and nurse anesthetists were wonderful talking to me and explaining everything as it was happening. They even took a few snap shots of Tripp as he was coming out. I felt like I was going to throw up and pass out when they administered the drugs. I became very bradycardic (I had a heartrate in the low 40's) and my blood pressure dropped low. Those things are actually very normal when being given high doses of sedatives. That is why you are monitored very closely and I was given epinephrine and a blood pressure medication to counteract those effects. After I was all sewn up and monitored for an hour, I was wheeled to see Tripp who was already in the NICU. He had his first bowel movement in utero but did not aspirate it. Which means he pooped inside of me, but did not breath any meconium (baby's first poop) in to his lungs. He was hooked up to various monitors but was breathing on his own. Dad was with him the whole time and was already wrapped around his finger by the time I got to meet him!
His back surgery was scheduled for the next day (Friday) at 7:30. As you can imagine, we were very anxious and nervous for him to have it done. The neurosurgeon team- Theresa, Peter, and Dr. Najib- came to my room around 10 to tell us that the surgery went wonderfully. We were told that there may initially be more paralysis immediately following surgery, but some of that may resolve as the nerves heal from the trauma of surgery. We are happy to say that he moving his legs really well and his does move his little clubbed feet as best as he can. Dr. Marker has already started him on some foot and leg exercises that mommy will have to do multiple times a day with him. It's been a few days and all of his tests have come back promising. He had a pneumo-cardiogram, head ultrasound, kidney pressure test, and a couple of others that I have already forgotten what they are called. As of today, he does not need a shunt. We are told to expect that he will before to long. 90% of children with SB will need a shunt within the first year. 100% of those that have a shunt put in within the first month of life will need it replaced by the time they are one. While we know we are not out of the woods, the longer we can hold off on him having one, the better the healing his body will do. His incision is puffy, which is a good indicator that he will need a shunt sooner rather than later, but it's also better to be collecting fluid there than on his brain. Peter said they may need to drain some of the fluid from his back and that can buy a little more time.
Tripp was moved from the NICU to ICC, a step down unit yesterday evening. Dr. Marker is saying maybe he will get to go home on Monday. I'm pushing for Friday. I figure that Dr. Marker is not here on the weekends and we can bring him back first thing Monday morning to be evaluated. Kenny keeps telling me to be patient, but it's been extrememly hard on me to be here with Tripp and away from Natalie. I haven't seen her for two days and it's killing me on the inside. I have to be very careful not to think too much about it because when I do, the tears start flowing and don't stop. I know that these emotions are to be expected, but they have led me to some pretty dark places at times and I truly don't feel strong enough to find my way back. My friends and family have been extraordinary to me. I have the best family and friends in the whole world. They have been here to see me, call me, text me and let me know that they are thinking of me, and more importantly, praying for me and my family. They are the type of friends that I know I can call on anytime day or night and they will be there. I am so grateful for you guys. I love you more than you know!
Mothering duty calls- :)

posted under |
Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
My life- as a wife, mother, sister, caregiver, daughter, career woman- uncensored.

Followers

Liberal Catholic. Working mom. Chronic pain warrior. Opinionated introvert. I speak fluent sarcasm. I'm married with two kids- a girl and a boy. My son was born with Spina bifida, hydrocephalus, Arnold Chiari malformation, and bilateral club feet. I may blog about food, politics, religion, medical updates, or our life in general.

Recent Comments