April Fools!

April is becoming one of my favorite months. Not only did I marry the man of my dreams on April 12th, but two of my favorite men were born into this world in April. My grandpa, Hans Stoeckli on the 12th and my grandpa, Gordon Kersten, on the 23rd. Although both have gone home, they are never far from my thoughts. Both have influenced me in ways beyond imagination.
My grandpa Kersten is the reason I am in the health care profession. He taught me what it meant to be a caregiver. He steered me to be an advocate for the elderly. I did not know my grandpa until I was 9. He died when I was 19. Ten short years I had him in my life. Yet they were ten of the most important years of my life.
My grandpa Stoeckli is the definition of a gentleman. I remember staying with him and my grandma a couple days out the year when I was going to and from camp with my Aunt Lisa. He was known for dropping the ladies off at the door. Be it at church, the grocery store, the mall, etc. You had to call when you left from your house to go to his. You had to call when you made it home again. "Drive safe, Toots." I've heard that come from his mouth more than any other phrase. When staying with them, he was constantly asking if there was anything he could do. Did they have the food/drinks you liked? What would you like to do? Is the room okay? How about the bed? He is what I based my criteria on for a husband. I was lucky enough for him to meet the man I married and get his approval.
I met the man I was to marry in April. We started dating in May, and married three years later on April 12th in 2008. My husband is AMAZING!!! He compliments me in every way possible. Where I'm high strung, he's lax. Where I worry, he's calm. I'm a spender, he's a saver. I'm a doer, he's a planner. I married my best friend. He's seen me at my worst. Although I know he doesn't like me that way, he still loves me. He's let me mature, let me immature, let me fail, set me free... He has been a rock. He's let me set down a foundation and given me room to grow. He has not judged me. I know I don't deserve him. My heavenly Father gave him to me and all I can do is thank Him everyday.
So, what is the April Fools, you ask? While others are playing jokes and pulling pranks today, I'm thanking my lucky stars that April has come around again. Not only is it the first day of April, it is also Holy Thursday. The celebration of the last supper. If you KNEW you were going to die very soon, How would you want to be remembered?? Unlike Jesus, we don't know when our last breath will be taken... Live today like it will be your last.

posted under |
Newer Post Home

About Me

My photo
My life- as a wife, mother, sister, caregiver, daughter, career woman- uncensored.

Followers

Liberal Catholic. Working mom. Chronic pain warrior. Opinionated introvert. I speak fluent sarcasm. I'm married with two kids- a girl and a boy. My son was born with Spina bifida, hydrocephalus, Arnold Chiari malformation, and bilateral club feet. I may blog about food, politics, religion, medical updates, or our life in general.

Recent Comments