A shunt for Tripp and a marathon for Natalie

Monday came and a head ultrasound was done. Tripp's ventricles are still normal newborn size, however, the plates in his head are spreading out. That is one of the first signs of excess fluid on the brain. Peter and Dr. Nagib decided that it would be best to schedule surgery for a shunt placement. I had to handle the news alone, as Kenny was with Natalie at her school marathon day. I was hoping so hard that we would get the all clear to go home. I did, however, pack the Halloween Kleenexes just for this case. I didn't want to rain on Kenny and Natalie's day, but I knew daddy would be worried if he didn't hear from me soon, so I called him with the news. Understandably, he was scared, angry, and sad. If you have ever watched your child hurt, for any reason or in any way, you can understand that anger is inevitably a part of the equation.
Surgery was scheduled for Tuesday at 1:15. While waiting in the surgery waiting room, I was organizing all the children's book, separating the books that were written in Spanish in to their own area and taking out all the Halloween books to "put on display". Jeni brought Natalie and Megan to the hospital to wait with us. Trust me when I say that was a very welcome distraction! Jeni, Kenny, and Natalie were throwing foam blocks at each other and building and knocking down each others houses! It was also good to see Natalie. I miss my little bug more than I have ever missed anyone in my life. After Tripp was out of surgery, we were told that everything went wonderfully. He was brought back to NICU for observation through the night.  Natalie wanted to see him so bad, but because of the nature of his surgery, mom and dad said no to that. I can't imagine the headache he must of had! His head was all bandaged so we didn't get to see what the incision looked liked, but we did get to see the little incision on his abdomen. Dr.Nagib was extremely thoughtful and saved his hair from where they shaved it as his 'first haircut'. He's had his first haircut before his sister. :)
This morning he is doing well. He's still pretty sleepy and you can tell he's in pain with a lot of movement, but Tylenol seems to help with that. He's eating 100ml's at a time (a little more than 3 ounces!) and that's down slightly from 120ml's before surgery. Eating is definitely NOT his problem! He will be staying in NICU, at least for the time being, because all the rooms in ICC are full. Which is okay with me. I'm just glad he is doing well enough to be transferred if he there was room. Dr. Marker came by and we were told that Friday looks like the discharge date if all continues to go well. If Dr. Marker says that, Kenny and I are pretty sure it will happen since he his so cautious and the one that wouldn't let us go home the end of last week. Of, course, we are keeping our hope in check *just in case*.
Natalie had her school marathon on Monday at Baylor Park. She walked had daddy carry her 2 miles and raised $150.00. Her entire school raised over $6000.00! Jeni took pictures of her and daddy and in their matching sweatshirts. Natalie has a field trip again today to the fire station. Dad was suppose to go along to chaperon, but is staying with us instead. Aunty Jeni is to the rescue again, and going with her and her class. I'm sure she will have a blast. All the kids in Natalie's school know my sister because her kids go to school there and she helps out with everything there.
I have said many times how much I love my sister. I cannot tell you how much that love and admiration has grown for her over the years. She is such a remarkable person. The love that she has for her kids as been a guiding influence on how I am as a mother. The love she has for my kids equals that she has for her children. There is nobody in this universe that I would want helping me with my kids than her. Kenny feels the same way and I feel overwhelmingly blessed that she is such a big part of our lives. Thank you, Jeni! I love you and appreciate you more than you know and I will never be able to repay you for all you have done for us!
For those of you that are curious, Tripp had a VP shunt placed. You can click here for more information. There is a lot of information out there, so don't get overwhelmed looking. The information is not specific to our child, so what you read is just a general overview.... Like all the information out there, take what you read with a grain of salt. If you have questions specific to Tripp, ask us! We will tell you what we know and get the answers if we don't.

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
My life- as a wife, mother, sister, caregiver, daughter, career woman- uncensored.

Followers

Liberal Catholic. Working mom. Chronic pain warrior. Opinionated introvert. I speak fluent sarcasm. I'm married with two kids- a girl and a boy. My son was born with Spina bifida, hydrocephalus, Arnold Chiari malformation, and bilateral club feet. I may blog about food, politics, religion, medical updates, or our life in general.

Recent Comments